Thursday, March 19, 2009

"I will not last you all your life"

It's 12:53 PM and I just took a break from painting to load the dishwasher. Something rather mundane, which usually gets my mind going. As I was putting some glasses into the machine, I remembered those words, which my mother uttered quite often when I was growing up "I will not last you all your life". She used it as a way to encourage me to learn things and learn them well while she was alive. I didn't think much of it then, but in retrospect she was partly right.

She was right in the fact that it was important that I learned things and learned them fast, because she was not going to live forever. I sure wish she would have lived much longer, but for the time I spent with her, I at least listened to her and learned many things from her; Things that will be with me for the rest of my life. This in fact is where she was wrong, even when dealing with boring everyday things and years after us looking into each other's eyes, she will last me all my life because in every day I live, in every decision I make, in every dish I place in this dishwasher she is here with me.


Thank you for making me the Man I am today. I love you Ada

No comments: